Friday, May 22, 2009

Foody Friday...So, What's for Dinner?  

0 comments

I love food and I love to cook, but I don't always have time. I don't know why, since it's not like I have an almost two year old who doesn't quit moving or talking from dawn til dusk...and it's not like I am running an at home business that take up countless hours at the sewing machine, iron, computer and light box every day (and night, and weekend) (not that I mind, I love what I do)...and it's not like I help out around here as much as possible (we live with my grandparents, in their huge house, with four dogs that shed...a lot (I do lots of vaccuuming)...so I don't know where all my free time goes, but it seems to be in short supply.

So, we've covered my love of food and cooking, and my lack of free time...which leads me to how much I love my crockpot. Now, don't get me wrong, I am no crockpot expert, but there are a few meals it makes that have no rivals. My very favorite is tonight's dinner. It is from the "Fix-It and Forget-It" series, the "5-ingredient favorites" edition (note to my readers, some of the recipes do in fact call for more than 5 ingredients, but they are all really simple anyhow). So what is it, you ask? Here ya go:

Slow Cooker Swiss Steak-

Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 7hours
Ideal Size: 3-qt.

1 lb round steak, 3/4"-1" thick, cubed
16 oz can stewed tomatoes
3 carrots, halved lengthwise
2 potatoes, quartered
1 medium-sized onion, quartered
garlic powder to taste

1. Add ingredients to crockpot in order listed
2. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours, or until meat and veggies are tender, but not overcooked and dry

*Note: I always add more of pretty much everything, except the tomotoes, because then there are leftovers!
**2nd Note: My slowcooker is a steamer, rice cooker, slow cooker in one, and it doens't have a high/low function, it just goes and seems to work fine. It is usually done sooner than 7 hours though.

And our side dishes? Hubby made homemade wheat bread in the bread maker, and we will probably throw together a salad too. Yum! And easy, very easy!

Best things about slow cookers? Easy, yummy less work, and even in the summer, doesn't put out a lot of heat!

So what are you all having for dinner? And new recipes to share with me?

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories