Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Snap Press Arrived!  

2 comments

I make pacifier clips (Paci Keepers) that are metal free. Until now, I have used velcro as the closure (instead of snaps); the reason I have kept them metal free is pretty simple: my baby (who is nearly not a baby anymore!) puts hers in her mouth and I didn't want metal in her mouth! For the same reason, I use plastic clips for the clip end (instead of metal suspender clips); it is also more gentle for her clothes.

Now a few details about my daughter...she is very active, very sensitive and very busy! She had discovered how to open the velcro, thereby releasing the sucker (her paci), which then can fall on the floor! I realize most babies will never try, never figure this out, and certainly will not find it as much fun as Cheyenne; however for the few who might, it was time to change the closure material!

I researched and discovered plastic (poly resin) snaps (like the ones used on many diaper covers). The upsides: much more durable and difficult for baby to open and snaps are relatively inexpensive. The downsides, the snaps can only be applied with special snap presses, and the presses are not cheap! I did find a supplier with reasonable rates, and ordered one (from China).

I was super excited when it arrived 11 days after I ordered it and it works like a charm! I am now in the process of clearancing the old style clips and making new ones (they will be available at the next craft show on September 6th, and online after that!). The velcro style will still work fine for younger babies, and for most older babies as well.

The new and improved paci keepers will be available soon and will just as affordable as their predecessor!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ My Snap Press Arrived!


  • August 19, 2008 at 10:34 AM  

    It is so great that you take so much care for the safety of the little ones. I am sure the mom's really appreciate it.
    Trisha
    DesignsByTrisha


  • August 19, 2008 at 3:26 PM  

    What a wonderful product! I don't have any babies anymore (sniff*sniff) but if I did, I would definitely buy one of these. I'll keep it in mind to buy for the next baby shower basket I need to make. Good luck with your shop on etsy!